GETTING TO FORT ADAMS STATE PARK
Fort Adams is located at 90 Fort Adams Drive, Newport, RI. One of the park system’s national treasures, Fort Adams is situated at the mouth of Newport Harbor with panoramic views of the Newport Bridge and the East Passage. The festival at the Fort features 4 stages of music, food & crafts, two beer & wine gardens and a number of displays. The festival runs rain or shine.
Getting to the folk fest via bicycle? Our friends at HiRoad will be teaming up with Bike Newport to provide “Park & Bike” lots: park for free and skip the traffic! Just follow the HiRoad signs from downtown out to the Fort. Learn more here: http://bikenewportri.org/park-n-bike.
Newport Harbor Shuttle runs continuous service during the Festival weekend between Perotti Park and Fort Adams. It’s a 15 minute trip and reservations are not required. In case of inclement weather, please check with ferry company regarding any service interruptions. More information can be found here.
The Jamestown Newport Ferry runs continuous service to Fort Adams with departures from One East Ferry Wharf in Jamestown and Perotti Park in Newport. In case of inclement weather, please check with ferry company regarding any service interruptions. More information and tickets can be found here.
SeaStreak offers a ferry service between Providence and Newport. Regular service to Newport runs from India Point in Providence to the Seastreak Ferry Terminal at 39 America’s Cup Avenue in Newport. In case of inclement weather, please check with ferry company regarding any service interruptions. More information can be found here.
Fort Adams State Park in Newport, RI is about 1.5 hours from Boston and 3.5 hours from New York City. Get directions to the Fortfrom your location.
In an effort to reduce traffic and our carbon footprint, Newport Folk Festival and FestDrive are proud to offer bus service to and from the festival. Check out the pick up locations, pricing, and shuttle service times at https://festdrive.busbank.com/newport-folk-festival
There is limited on-site car parking available at Fort Adams State. Motorcycle parking is also available on-site for $10. As parking is limited and we love Mother Earth, carpooling is encouraged!
Parking for vehicles with ADA placards or license plates is available in the Lower Lot. Each vehicle gaining access to the Lower Lot must pay the parking fee; the holder of the placard MUST BE a passenger in the vehicle and produce the issued ADA handicap placard. Violation of any ADA placard or license carries a fine of up to $500.
IN TOWN PARKING
Avoid the Fort traffic and ride in style – park in town and take the ferry. In town private parking options will be listed at a later date.
RULES & FAQS
WHAT TIME DOES EVERYTHING OPEN?
FRIDAY (7/27) & SATURDAY (7/28) & SUNDAY (7/29)
BOX OFFICE opens at 9am
GATES open at 10am
PARKING opens at 8am / Shuttles start at 9am
WATER TAXIS start at 8am
FOOD & CRAFTS start at 10am
MUSIC starts at 11am
MUSIC stops at sundown
WHEN WILL THE SCHEDULE BE POSTED?
Thanks for your patience, the 2018 schedule will be posted in early July!
IS THERE CAMPING ON-SITE?
Sorry, no camping is available at Fort Adams State Park but there are campgrounds not far from the festival grounds. Check out this google map of camp sites in the area. Also, check out www.visitrhodeisland.com in the Recreation/Camping section for additional suggestions.
IF I LEAVE THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS , CAN I GET BACK IN?
No, there is no re-entry into the festival whatsoever. We have everything you need inside the site. Due to world events, and to ensure our fans’ safety and efficiency of our entry operations, there will be no daily in-and-out or re-entry permitted. Our top priority is to provide a safe experience for all fans, employees and artists. For your convenience the visitors center will now be inside the festival grounds, and fans will have access to the bathrooms and ATM. We ask that you please pack accordingly to adjust to this policy.
WHAT IS ALLOWED INTO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS?
- Only one small hand held cooler (no larger than 16″ x 12″) – all coolers will be searched
- An individual blanket (Maximum size 6’x8′)
- Strollers that are reasonably sized and do not obstruct the view of others
- In the event of rain, HAND-HELD umbrellas are allowed in the venue and in seating areas but must be closed and stored during sets so as not to obstruct the views of others.
- Low-seat chairs (under 30″H) are preferred to ensure good viewing for your neighbors. These are only allowed outside no chair zones. No chairs above 34″H will be allowed in and no recliners or footrests allowed. If your chair has a shade cover, it must be left in the down position. Any higher seated chairs that still fit the height restrictions should be set up farthest from the stage or in designated shade areas.
- Small baby beach cabanas are allowed in designated shade areas only as space allows. Chairs between 30″H – 34″H are allowed in these areas as well, and shade covers are allowed to be in the up position. No pop up tents.
- Cameras are permitted but cannot be used to reproduce the event and must not interfere with other fans’ enjoyment of the festival (NO AUDIO CAPTURING IS ALLOWED)
- Good attitude
- Open mind
- Love of music
WHAT IS PROHIBITED?
- No harassment of any kind! All festival-goers are welcome regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender presentation, sexual orientation, age, body size, disability, appearance, religion, citizenship, or pregnancy.
- No large coolers, glass containers of any kind, alcoholic beverages, illegal substances of any kind, firearms, noise-making devices, laser pointers, knives, box cutters, tools of any kind (including Leathermen) pepper spray, Mace, or any kind of item that could be used as a weapon. Beverages in plastic bottles or cans must be factory-sealed.
- No flag poles
- No commercial audio visual equipment
- No bag larger than 16”X16”X8” will be permitted inside the venue.
- No beach umbrellas or beach balls (because they could end up in the bay and hurt the wildlife)
- No chairs over 34″H are allowed in the park. No recliners or foot rests allowed either.
- No chairs over 30”H are allowed in lawn seating areas
- No chairs are allowed in the “no chair zones.”
- Chairs using roofs and other shade structures are prohibited in lawn seating areas and must be used in designated shade areas only.
- No pop up tents
- No pets in the park and absolutely no pets are to be left in your parked cars.
- Please leave your selfie sticks at home. Meet fellow folk & have them take the photo for you!
- No drones. Any use of drones/UAS in the vicinity of any public open air event would violate Rhode Island’s Uniform Aeronautical Regulator Act (UAR) and Aeronautics Regulations, constituting a misdemeanor. Please leave them at home for the safety of all our folk.
All sales are final; no refunds or exchanges will be processed by Newport Folk.
All artists, set times and stages are subject to change.
Events take place rain or shine. If severe weather becomes an issue and we need to interrupt programming, announcements will be made regarding safety procedures. Programming will resume when deemed safe.
All persons, bags and personal items are subject to inspection before entering the festival. No bag larger than 16”X16”X8” will be permitted inside the venue.
Any ticket holder that directly or indirectly interferes with the enjoyment of the festival may be asked to leave the venue and may be subject to arrest and prosecution by State/Local Authorities.
The festival will continue to make every effort to ensure socially acceptable behavior in order to allow ticket holders to enjoy the event.
Newport Folk Festival encourages a smoke-free environment and asks that you respect the health of your neighbors at the festival and refrain from smoking in any area where it may affect someone else. Smoking is prohibited under all tents and inside buildings. Please find an isolated area if you must smoke, and dispose of your butts properly.
BEER, WINE, CIDER AND TOKENS
For all you thirsty folk, over 21 ID wristbands and tokens will be available during the morning hours so you can get them before the gates and gardens open, and be ready for the starting bell. Please drink responsibly.
Beer/Wine Garden Rules & Regs: Must be 21 to enter gardens. IDs will be checked at all token sales locations and over 21 wristbands will be issued. Over 21 wristbands are good all weekend so get one once and keep it on.
Drink tokens: Drink tokens can be redeemed for beer, wine or hard cider, and will be sold at all ID checkpoints as well as inside the gardens. Tokens are good all weekend but they are NON-REFUNDABLE. Plan to use them up before the weekend is over. Cash and credit cards are also accepted in the gardens but only in specified lines. Food & other beverages are also available. Read all signs carefully.
Beer Garden Hours: Noon – 6:30 PM Daily
Advance Token Sales: Tokens will be available outside the gate beginning one hour before gates open each day and will also be sold in each garden.
ENHANCE YOUR EXPERIENCE
To ensure sure you enjoy the festival to its fullest, we thought it would be helpful to share these helpful facts and suggestions:
FOOD & CRAFT VENDORS
We have some great food trucks and craft vendors on-site. Click here to check out this year’s vendors.
COMING WITH YOUR LITTLEST FOLKS?
KIDS UNDER 3 ARE FREE! Make sure to use the Family Gate if you have purchased Children’s Tickets. Children’s tickets can only be scanned at Family Gate. Inside, The Late July Family Tent will feature surprise performances by artists from this year’s lineup.
We provide a breast feeding area in the medic tent located just outside the quad stage entrance (behind the harbor stage). There is an outlet for electric breast feeding pumps.
OFFICIAL MERCH STATIONS
Bring a piece of the folk fest home with you! Stop by our merch booth on the way to the Fort Stage to grab official 2018 gear. Please note we will no longer offer plastic bags at the merch tent but will have $5 Newport Folk tote bags available for purchase. Help us go greener by carrying your gear home in a Newport Folk tote.
NO CHAIR ZONE
There will be a standing/dancing zone in front of the Fort Stage. Chairs and blankets are allowed outside of the no chair zone and in most other areas of the park. Although we do not clear out the standing/dancing area in between sets, we do make sure that this area remains a standing-only zone while artists are performing. The audience is welcome to sit down in this area in between performances, but we do not permit anyone to put out blankets, chairs, or other personal items as a means of spot-saving.
Parking for vehicles with ADA placards or license plates is available in the Lower Lot. Each vehicle gaining access to the Lower Lot must pay the parking fee; the holder of the placard MUST BE a passenger in the vehicle and produce the issued ADA handicap placard. Violation of any ADA placard or license carries a fine of up to $500. ADA parking is available.
ADA SEATING AREA
An area on the lawn at the Fort Stage is reserved for disabled patrons. This section is located in a roped off area to the side of the sound board. This area is accessible by a paved road from the festival entrance. Because space is limited, each disabled patron is allowed one guest to accompany. Seating is not provided in this area so guests should bring blankets or low-backed lawn chairs.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For ticket questions email email@example.com.
To apply for 2018 press access, please complete this form.
To submit your artist or band for consideration, please complete this form.
All food and craft vendor spots are full for Newport Folk 2018. Check back with us at the end of the year to inquire about 2019 vendor opportunities.
For general questions email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To inquire about partnership opportunities, please contact email@example.com.