Belcourt Castle is a large Louis XIII style estate that has a rich line of owners, starting with Oliver Belmont and his wife Alva Vanderbilt, Elaine and Louis Lorillard , Donald and Harle Tinney and today it’s owned by Alex & Ani founder Carolyn Rafaelian.
There have been many reported hauntings over the years.
- A young, female tour guide, while leading a group of visitors through the French Gothic Ballroom, heard a male voice tell her several times to “Get Out!” All during that summer season, she felt uncomfortable, and didn’t come back the next season.
- A male entity seems to appear in full monk attire; brown robe and hood, and wander around wherever his statue is located. He first appeared at the end of the bed in Donald and Harle’s bedroom, in semi-solid state, wearing a monk’s robe and hood. When his statue was located near the first floor ladies room, his figure was seen walking out of the nearby Grand Hall and into the lady’s room. This entity communicated through Virginia, and told of his wishes to be moved into the chapel. After being moved into the chapel, a visitor saw his solid form preparing for a mass in the chapel. She asked Harle Tinney when the mass was going to be held. Imagine her surprise when she found out the truth, and that she had seen the spirit of the monk!
- The angry spirit of the knight relives his death, when a spear was thrown through his helmet visor. It was not a pleasant death. His screams and shrieks of agony are heard by staff and the Tinney family for many years, especially during the month of March, when he was killed. His spirit communicated with Virginia, and told her that he had been left for dead by his fellow knights, so he died alone of his wounds. During tours, his helmet is said to turn by itself to check out these strangers in the room.
- A lady in a ball gown has been seen on the second floor gallery.
- An older woman in pink attire has been appearing in the Harle Tinney’s bedroom on occasion, perhaps it’s Ruth Tinney visiting her daughter-in-law.
info from HauntedHouses.com
SPECIAL NOTE TO THE WEDDING GUESTS:
Where to stay:
If you’re visiting Newport, book your stay at Gurneys Newport Resort & Marina, they are hands down the nicest hotel in Newport and their seaside location on Goat Island with 360° water views and the seclusion of a private island is just a jaunt from the shops and eateries of downtown Newport.
If you’re looking for some great spots to dine, we recommend hitting up local favorites such as ,LaForge Casino Restaurant (piano bar every Friday and Saturday night), Scarpetta, The Reef and Tavern on Broadway!
MEAL DEAL: Each week from Thursday through Sunday The Reef has dinner for two including a bottle of wine for only $45. (two appetisers, two entrees, two desserts AND a bottle of wine)
No trip to Newport is complete without a trip to the Audrain Automobile Museum.
Taste the flavor:
Swing by the Newport Craft Brewing & Distilling Co. and sample some of their award winning creations.
Founded in 1999 by four college friends, Newport Storm Brewery was the original production craft brewery in Rhode Island. They created more than 100 distinctive beers while keeping things local and authentic. From their flagship Hurricane Amber Ale to seasonal brews made with Rhode Island grown ingredients, to beers aged in rum barrels, the brewery has been in the vanguard of craft brewing for nearly 20 years.
In 2006 the crew began distilling craft spirits. They were the first distillery in Rhode Island in 135 years and currently produce whiskey, a single barrel rum, and an overproof white rum.
Dress for success:
Newport’s First Lady Deborah Winthrop owns the premier women’s boutique on Aquidneck Island with hip and chic clothing, bra sized swimwear and a the largest selection of lingerie around. Deborah and her staff are all expert bra fitters. The right bra will make you look and feel 10 years younger and 10lbs lighter!! Swing by and see for yourself.
If you’re looking for the best pizza in Newport, RI, look no further than Karma Pizza. This Thames Street pizza place has the best pizza and the best wings in town. Free delivery.