With the $1.5 billion Powerball jackpot up for grabs on Wednesday night, billionaire Mark Cuban has some tips should a winner emerge.
- Hire a tax attorney first.
- Don’t take the lump sum. You don’t want to blow it all in one spot.
- If you weren’t happy yesterday you won’t be happy tomorrow. It’s money. It’s not happiness.
- If you were happy yesterday, you are going to be a lot happier tomorrow. It’s money. Life gets easier when you don’t have to worry about the bills.
- Tell all your friends and relatives no. They will ask. Tell them no. If you are close to them, you already know who needs help and what they need. Feel free to help SOME, but talk to your accountant before you do anything and remember this, no one needs 1m dollars for anything. No one needs 100k for anything. Anyone who asks is not your friend.
- You don’t become a smart investor when you win the lottery. Don’t make investments. You can put it in the bank and live comfortably. Forever. You will sleep a lot better knowing you won’t lose money.
- Be nice. No one likes a mean billionaire. 🙂