A number of popular roads will be riding a bit smoother beginning next week.
The City’s contractor, All States Asphalt, will be placing an asphalt rubber surface on the following roads in the Ocean Drive, Kay-Catherine, and North End neighborhoods beginning Wednesday, June 26th.
Asphalt Rubber Surface Construction Streets:
• Ocean Avenue: Coggeshall Avenue to Castle Hill Avenue
• Castle Hill Avenue: Ocean Avenue to Ridge Road
• Rhode Island Avenue: Broadway to Memorial Boulevard
• Catherine Street: Bellevue Avenue to Eustis Avenue
• Old Beach Road: Bellevue Avenue to Memorial Boulevard
• Girard Avenue: Coddington Highway to Admiral Kalbfus Road
• Maple Avenue: JT Connell Highway to Middletown Line
Access to all properties will be maintained throughout construction and the roads will be swept immediately after work is complete and again a few weeks later to minimize the amount of loose material left on the roadway.
Construction is expected to last a week or two depending on weather conditions.
Asphalt rubber surface placement is a common road maintenance practice that extends pavement life and prevents deterioration caused by aging and oxidation due to the sun and weather. However, because the asphalt material is extremely sensitive to moisture, rain and wet roads will affect the schedule.
Residents along the improvement area are asked that if you have a sprinkler system, please postpone watering until after construction is completed. Neighbors are asked not to park on these roads from 6 a.m. until 6 p.m. during the work week while crews are on site. Parked cars may return immediately after construction is completed.
Work is anticipated to begin along Ocean Avenue and Castle Hill Avenue before moving to Rhode Island Avenue, Catherine Street and Old Beach Road, followed immediately by Girard and Maple avenues.