St. Patrick’s Day 2013 Newport RI Information
Newport St. Patrick’s Parade Traffic, Parking and Information
The 57th Annual Newport, Rhode Island Saint Patrick’s Day Parade will be held, rain, snow, or shine, on Saturday, March 16th 2013.. The parade kicks off promptly at 11:00 a.m. in front of Newport City Hall, travels through Washington Square, on to Thames Street, to America’s Cup Boulevard, turns south on Lower Thames Street and finishes in front of St. Augustin’s Church on Carroll Avenue.
Traffic will be congested in the downtown area from about 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and parking will be limited.
The two best routes into the city with available public parking are:
- Westbound on Memorial Blvd, right onto Bellevue Ave. (northbound), left on Church St. and right into the Waterfront Parking lot (situated between Church and Mary St.)
- Farewell St. south to America’s Cup Ave. and right into the Gateway Center parking garage.
The parade participants will be begin staging on lower Broadway at about 9:00 a.m. so it is recommended that people coming to Newport to view the parade avoid Broadway.
Parking is prohibited on the following streets from 5:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. All vehicles parked in restricted areas will be towed:
- Broadway from Cranston/Equality Park West to Washington Square
- Equality Park Place and Equality Park West
- Dr. Marcus F. Wheatland Blvd.
- Equality Park to Oak St.
- Washington Sq. from Broadway to Thames St.
- Thames St. from America’s Cup Ave. to Morton Ave.
- Carroll Ave. from Morton Ave. to Harrison Ave.
During this year’s parade the Newport Police Department will be strictly enforcing City Ordinances (open containers of alcohol in public, noise violations and disorderly conduct, underage drinking) along the parade route and the surrounding areas. The Newport Police Department will have a strong presence to make this a fun, safe and family friendly event.
Please read our St. Patrick’s Day Parade Safety Brief for pointers and more information.