Chef Tim’s philosophy on food is that he tries to cook everything that’s fresh and around him. He cooks everything from scratch. There’s something to be said about good, classic food done right and well, but Tim has always tried to be creative and innovative with new combinations and inspirations.
5 lbs boneless short rib
4 oz pumpkin pie spice
4 oz vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 gallons chicken stock
4 cups seasonal beer
4 stalks of celery
1. Cut the short rib into 8 oz pieces and season them with pumpkin pie spice, salt, and pepper
2. Heat the oil in a large pan and sear all sides of the meat
3. Add the carrot, onion, and celery then add the beer and the chicken stock
4. Bring to a simmer then place the pot in the oven at 350 for at least 4 hours until the meat is tender
1 large celery root
2 ea white onion
salt and white pepper
1 lb butter, unsalted
1. Peel and dice the celery root and onions and place in a stock pot and cover with water
2. salt and pepper the water and place on stovetop to simmer until vegetables are tender
3. in a blender puree the mixture adding butter and lemon until smooth
The Tavern On Broadway is located in the heart of Newport’s Historic District in a completely renovated 200 year old colonial building. The owners: Jill Blumel, Jim Blumel, and Tim Sousa, live in the neighborhood and can be found working in the restaurant and interacting with customers.
Tavern on Broadway is open seven days a week from 11am – 1am.
The kitchen is open until midnight Sunday – Thursday and untill 11pm on Friday and Saturday.
Stop by from 4pm – 6pm Monday through Saturday to enjoy half priced appetizers and check out their amazing Sunday brunch that comes with a free bloody, bellini or mimosa!
They also have a great special on Tuesday night: Enjoy a three-course meal for two with a bottle of wine for only $40!!!
Tavern on Broadway
16 Broadway – Newport, RI
photos courtesy WPRI 12