For the first time, three Newport Mansions are remaining open daily for tours through the winter months. The Breakers (1895), The Elms (1901) and Marble House (1892) are now operating daily year-round, contributing to Newport’s growth as a destination in the so-called “shoulder seasons.”
“Over the last few years, we have gradually expanded the length of our Newport Mansions operating season, and visitors have responded,” said Trudy Coxe, CEO & Executive Director of The Preservation Society of Newport County. “By keeping more houses open during the winter months we are also supporting our colleagues in Newport’s hospitality industry, by offering visitors more reasons to visit and stay in Newport in the off-season.”
Guide-led tours will be featured at all three houses during the winter months, with self-guided audio tours available at The Breakers during some busier time periods. Visit www.NewportMansions.org or call (401) 847-1000 for details about the operating schedule and ticket prices. The schedule is subject to change.
On March 19, 2016, two additional houses, Chateau-sur-Mer (1852) and Kingscote (1841), will open for the season. On May 21, all remaining Preservation Society properties – Rosecliff (1901), Green Animals Topiary Garden (c.1860), Hunter House (c.1748), Isaac Bell House (1883) and Chepstow (1861) – will open for daily tours.
The Preservation Society of Newport County, Rhode Island is a non-profit organization accredited by the American Alliance of Museums and dedicated to preserving and interpreting the area’s historic architecture, landscapes and decorative arts. Its 11 historic properties—seven of them National Historic Landmarks—span more than 250 years of American architectural and social development.