Traffic flow and parking in Newport will be affected by the St. Patrick’s Day Parade, which kicks off at 11:00AM on Saturday March 11th, 2017. Traffic will be congested in the downtown area from about 9:00AM to 3:00PM. Parking will be limited. The parade participants will be begin staging on Lower Broadway at about 9:00am, so it is recommended that people coming to Newport to view the parade avoid Broadway.
The two best routes into the city with available public parking are:
– Westbound on Memorial Blvd, right onto Bellevue Ave. (northbound), left on Church St. and right into the Waterfront Parking lot (situated between Church and Mary St.)
– Farewell St. South to America’s Cup Ave., and right into the Gateway parking garage.
Parking is prohibited from 5 a.m. until 3 p.m. on the following streets:
– Broadway from Cranston/Equality Park West to Washington Square
– Equality Park Place and Equality Park West
– Dr. Marcus F. Wheatland Boulevard (West side)
– Bull Street at Spring Street
– Spring Street at Bull Street
– Washington Square from Broadway to Thames Street
– Thames Street from America’s Cup Avenue to Morton Avenue
– Carroll Avenue from Morton Avenue to Harrison Avenue
– Both sides of America’s Cup Avenue at the Gateway Center
– Narragansett Avenue between Spring Street and Bellevue Avenue
During this year’s parade the Newport Police Department will be strictly enforcing City Ordinances (open containers of alcohol in public, noise violations, disorderly conduct, and underage drinking) along the parade route and the surrounding areas. The Police Department will have a strong presence to make this a fun, safe and family friendly event.
– Parade Begins at Lower Broadway
– Washington Sq.
– Thames St. southbound to America’s Cup southbound
– Thames St at Memorial Blvd.
– Carroll Ave
– Parade Ends at St. Augustin’s Church
– Southbound Broadway diverted onto Marcus Wheatland Blvd southbound at Equality Park.
– Spring St northbound diverted away from Broadway and up Bull St. to Kay St
– Westbound Memorial Blvd West diverted northbound on Thames St at the Post Office
– Northbound Thames St diverted away from America’s Cup up Mill St to Spring St.