On Sunday, October 20th, the Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Foundation will host the Pell Bridge Run over the Newport Pell Bridge. The Run is a 4 mile charity run/walk with 100% of the proceeds going to support nonprofits and local community organizations.
Early morning motorists in the Jamestown and Newport area should be prepared for slight delays and traffic detours due to the run. The event will begin at 7:00 a.m. and police will begin blocking off some roads starting at 6:45 a.m. No pedestrians other than registered athletes will be allowed on any part of the Newport Pell Bridge during the Run. The road closures are as follows:
- East Shore Road – From 6:30 a.m. – 7:45 a.m., East Shore Rd. will be closed between the intersection of Conanicus Avenue and the Rt. 138 on/off ramps.
- Conanicus Avenue – From 6:45 a.m. – 7:45 a.m., Conanicus Ave. will be closed from the Jamestown Golf Course north to the Rt. 138 on-ramp (Newport Pell Bridge).
- Motoring travel on the bridge will be reduced to a single alternating lane both westbound (from Newport) and eastbound (from Jamestown) from 7:00 a.m. – 8:15 a.m. During this time, commercial motor vehicles (trucks) and buses will be restricted from traveling over the Newport Bridge heading eastbound.
- Farewell Street – From 7:15 a.m.- 8:45 a.m., Farewell St. will be closed through America’s Cup Avenue
- Van Zandt Avenue – Van Zandt Ave. at the corner of Farewell will also be closed to traffic.
- Expect delays using America’s Cup and Farewell St. until 9:00 a.m.