Coast Guard Cutter Eagle Barque Eagle will be making a port visit at Naval Station Newport this weekend. As part of the visit, the ship will offer tours to DoD-affiliated personnel and their families. Tour guests will need to present their Common Access Card (CAC) in order to gain access to the installation. CAC holders can only escort guests in the same vehicle on to the installation. Tours will take place at Pier 2 on Friday, from 12-5 p.m., and on Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Weekend tour guests are reminded to use installation Gate 1 for access (Training Station Road, Newport) as Gate 17 will be closed.
Training on EAGLE
The USCGC EAGLE is a 295-foot, three-masted barque used as a training vessel for future officers of the United States Coast Guard. Known as “America’s Tall Ship,” the majestic EAGLE is the largest tall ship flying the Stars and Stripes and the only active square-rigger in U.S. government service.
Facts and Figures
- Length of EAGLE: 295 ft. (roughly equivalent to a football field)
- Number of sails: 23
- Sail area: 22,227 square feet
- Tallest mast: 150 feet (roughly equivalent to a 15-story building)
- Length of rigging: 6 miles
- Working crew: 55
- Maximum people capacity: 239
- Weight: 1,655 tons (EAGLE’s hull and decks are made of steel)
- Speed under sail: 17 knots (20 mph)
- Speed under power: 10 knots (11 mph)
- Gallons of fuel oil: 24,215
- Weight of anchors: 3,860 lbs.
History of EAGLE
Built at the Blohm+Voss Shipyard in Hamburg, Germany in 1936, and commissioned as Horst Wessel, EAGLE was one of three sail-training ships operated by the pre-World War II German navy. At the close of the war, the ship was taken as a war reparation by the U.S., re-commissioned as the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter EAGLE and sailed to New London, Connecticut, which has been her permanent homeport ever since.
Like Newport Buzz? We depend on the generosity of readers like you who support us, to help with our mission to keep you informed and entertained with local, independent news and content. We truly appreciate your trust and support!