Newport County YMCA Evacuated After Steam System Malfunction; One Injured

Saturday morning at approximately 8:50 a.m., emergency responders from the Middletown Fire and Police Departments rushed to the Newport County YMCA at 792 Valley Road following reports of a possible explosion.

Upon arrival, authorities quickly evacuated the building. The Middletown Fire Department later confirmed that the incident was caused by a malfunction in the steam system of one of the saunas. The excessive steam released when the sauna room door was opened triggered the building’s sprinkler system.

A 58-year-old woman from Barrington sustained a minor, non-life-threatening injury due to the incident. As a precaution, the YMCA will remain closed for the rest of the day.




Like Newport Buzz? We depend on the generosity of readers like you who support us, to help with our mission to keep you informed and entertained with local, independent news and content. We truly appreciate your trust and support!